PowerPoint is a nice friend of every biotechnologist when it comes to presenting complex work to audiences. You may come across the Plasmids especially when you are working in Microbial Genetics or Recombinant DNA Technology. Presenting the schematic diagram of your plasmid without copy pasting from Google can be a nightmare for you.
Let’s make it easy for you and learn to Draw schematic plasmids/vectors in PowerPoint with few simple steps. In this tutorial, we are going to use few built-in shapes to draw a plasmid which will look like something shown in figure 1.
Configuring Slides Size (optional)
- Open the PowerPoint application.
- Add new Blank Slide.
- Click on “Design” Tab.
- On Right side, Click on “Custom Size” Option in slide size icon.
Draw base of Plasmid
- Click the “Insert” tab
- Click on “Shapes” and select the “Arc” shape.
- Draw the Arc while holding the Shift key.
- Drag from the Yellow tiny square at the each end of the arc and complete the circle.
Draw Important Regions of Plasmid
In this step, we will draw important regions of the plasmid such as promter and insert fragment etc.
- Duplicate the circle by selecting and then “Ctrl+D”
- After Duplicating, select a shape and Click on “Format”
- Now click on the “Shape Outline”
- Change “Weight” and “Color” of the outline.
- Click on each of the shapes.
- Drag that tiny yellow square backward to decrease the size of each circle according to the region size.
- Place each colored shape on the base of the plasmid.
Annotations of Plasmid
This is about giving names to the regions which you just made on your plasmid.
- Add a “Text Box” from your Insert tab
- Write down appropriate annotations.
- To give circular shape to your text, Select the text
- Click on the Format tab
- Click on “Text Effects” then “Transform”
- Select the Appropriate design and drag them to the position.
Saving your Plasmid as PDF or PNG
You can save it as PDF or PNG to use it in any article or your other publication. So this how you do it.
- Click on “File”
- Select “Save as”
- Decide your destination
- Select “Portable Network Graphics (PNG)/PDF” in “Select as type” while saving.
Download: pTec1 Sample
Please make sure to share your views and comments with us in the comment section so we can make our tutorials better for you.