In this article, I’ve curated the best VR Box Apps for you that you can use on your Android and iOS device.
Virtual Reality isn’t just a fantasy anymore. It is already touching the sky and is built to give you the virtual experience of your dreams. A misconception that VR is only about games and movies. Well, this is absolutely false. Nowadays with new advancements in VR, it can also educate you, helps you in learning, and entertain you in the way you can never imagine.
With VR technology, you can be on the top of the hill, or surfing while sitting in your bedroom. VR creates images, sounds and other sensory movements realistic enough to turn your fantasy into a reality.
For this kind of experience and enjoyment, it provides you with a headset associated with VR tech. The smartphone or computer can be plugged into this VR headset and it generates images you want to experience and entertain yourself with. Platforms like Oculus Rift, Gear VR, and HTC Vive can give you more practical down-to-earth experience but though expensive. With VR getting better and better, societies like Facebook, Google, Samsung, and HTC are designing their own manifestoes for smartphones and PC.
Discovering new ways to learn and entertain yourself, here are some of the best VR apps you should check!
Best Apps for VR Box
If you think VR is just another tech for gaming and movies, then you’re mistaken. There are some of the best apps that will certainly blow your mind. With the development of new platforms and advancements in VR, here are some of the best VR apps listed below.
Google Cardboard App
Top of the list is the Google Cardboard app, one of the best VR apps for android. Linked to your smartphone, Google Cardboard app takes you to the wonders of the virtual world, where you can view and experiences your dreams, turn your fantasies into reality, play VR games, watch movies, learn and entertain yourself with different 3D simulations.
Due to its fold-out cardboard design, it got the name. Its cardboard design helps you visit and experience the basic features of VR. Using the specifications published by Google, you can purchase and download the app, run VR mode for videos and watch 3D simulation.
If you want to use this platform for Android, you need to install this app, even download Cardboard-supported apps, for your smartphone, place the phone into the headset and view the content through lenses.
The following are some of the features of the Google Cardboard app.
- With headsets like the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, PlayStation VR, none of them can even come close to the affordability of Google Cardboard.
- Netflix VR app has made it possible to watch any movie on a VR headset including Google Cardboard.
- With this app, you can view your videos, photospheres, and other VR content stored on your device.
- Most important, it has a directory of VR apps and games, that will able the user to track things more easily.
- It is the most cost-effective virtual reality viewer, transforms your telephone into a VR headset, the platform aims to serve a low-cost system.
If we’re talking about the best VR Box apps, we can’t simply ignore the YouTube. However, no new introductions are needed, we already know what YouTube does. With an infinite collection of videos and 3D videos, YouTube provides a platform where the most popular and top trending videos can be viewed, liked and commented.
Using the same YouTube app, you need to install YouTube VR, which allows you to watch in “VR mode” to enjoy the cinematic graphics of your favorite videos. You can simply log on to YouTube, subscribe to your favorite channels, watch, like and share videos.
With a new built-in design, you can enjoy explore and watch the trendiest videos you like more easily than ever before. You just have to click an icon or swipe to switch between recommended videos, your subscriptions, or your account.
The following are some of the features of YouTube VR.
- It was created for Cardboard and Google Daydream headsets but designed to work with all major Android-supported VR headsets.
- You can also subscribe to your favorite channels, create playlists, edit and upload videos, enjoy yourself with comments and shares, all from inside the app.
- The YouTube VR app turns every video on the platform into your own virtual reality experience and reenvisions YouTube as a 3D world you can explore and enjoy.
- With this, you can explore every video on YouTube, from 3D 360 videos to standard rectangular video, immerse yourself in full 360-degree videos that put you at the center of the action.
- This app, which is launching first for the Daydream View headset, also features voice search and the ability to subscribe to channels and search content.
Google Daydream is the second-best app from Google after Google Cardboard for VR. It’s officially designed as an alternative to Cardboard. To use this app, you need a Daydream supported smartphone and Daydream View headset.
With this Daydream app, you can watch the Daydream VR videos, Daydream VR apps, Daydream-compatible apps, and Daydream-supported content. Daydream brings high-quality virtual reality to Daydream-ready phones.
Unlike Cardboard, the Daydream app is a much more fully operational and like never seen before experience that is set to provide the users with a higher-end smartphone VR experience.
The following are some of the features of the Google Daydream app.
- With the Daydream app, you can launch your favorite virtual reality experiences and browse a collection of apps and games.
- You can explore new worlds, use your personal VR cinema, and play 3D games that put you at the center of the action.
- The app brings featured content front and center so there’s always something new when you put on the headset.
- Google Daydream is the platform for experience directly through your mobile device, watching videos, play games, and learn.
- With Google Daydream you can view, Netflix, HBO and Hulu all have Daydream-ready apps launched, and The New York Times has launched an app, too, for its VR videos.
Netflix has been a firm supporter of VR for quite some time; one of the biggest adopters of VR for Android. Through best VR headsets like Oculus, HTC Vive, and Daydream, this Netflix VR app turns out to be the best to watch the content, your favorite shows, and videos on Android.
Netflix VR app provides you two types of viewing mode. The first one “rustic mode” provides a living room like experience and stable mode to view your content. The second one “void mode” provides you with the ultimate experience of reality by moving your media content according to the movement of your eye.
There’s no current VR specific content on Netflix, but as the VR is becoming a global platform for mainstream media, you can expect Netflix on top of the line to add VR app to its list.
The following are some of the features of the Netflix VR app.
- With the Netflix VR app, you can watch your favorite shows and videos anytime, anywhere. The more you watch, the better Netflix gets at recommending TV shows and movies that you’ll like.
- Netflix is available with the Google Daydream, Oculus, and Cardboard VR Headset in all places where Netflix provides its service.
- Void mode erases the room, placing you in an empty space where you can anything even sitting on a chair. If you like watching in bed, we recommend you to use Void mode.
- With Netflix VR app, browse rows of movie posters or press search to find movies and TV shows in 480p resolution.
- You can also select the audio and subtitles icon to turn on subtitles and alternate language audio if they are offered by the TV show or movie.
Google Expeditions is an immersive learning and teaching tool that lets you go on VR trips or explore AR objects.
If you’re an extrovert, that likes to gain knowledge about things, and visit places you like, then you might wanna check the Expeditions app. Rather than entertaining, Expeditions gain more popularity on the basis of trips, learning and exploring.
What’s the better place to use VR than in the hands of kids these days. Google Expeditions app ranked one of the best VR box apps for Android and iOS in terms of virtual trips, exploring ancient landmarks across the globe, and other exciting places.
The following are some of the features of Google Expeditions.
- The app allows you to share the same trips with other headsets, so it’s a perfect match for small study groups.
- In the classroom, Google Expeditions allows a teacher acting as a “guide” to lead kids through VR tours or show them AR objects.
- It is ranked the most popular among your students for giving them the exotic VR experience that rotates a view of 360 degrees and 3D images.
- Over 1k different tours for you to try out, from mountain ranges to oceans, from parks to museums. As it’s a Google app, it’s been built-up for Google Cardboard or Daydream headsets.
- There are over 500 expeditions where each one is an organized set of VR content with integrated descriptions. You can just connect your devices to the same WiFi network and enjoy it!
VR Thrills: Roller Coaster 360
As the name suggests, VR Roller Coaster 360 app gives you the real experience of the roller coaster. With more than 10 million downloads, this is one of the best games in the PlayStore.
Why go through such tough plans of going out when you can actually get all the thrill and excitement inside your home. With pre-recorded 360 degree videos or basic 3D simulated roller coaster, you get the real-life experience and all the excitement and fun that you ever dream of.
This game was designed for the Google Cardboard headsets but using your phone controls, you can play the game without using the headsets.
The following are some of the features of VR Thrills: Roller Coaster 360.
- It gives you one of the most popular VR games now featuring new 3D rides steel runner, fantasy & alien music ride.
- Using a tycoon mode, you can get a real tycoon roller coaster experience, creating and running amazing parks complete with the most outrageous unimaginable rides.
- If your device has no gyroscope sensor, you need to move your head left or right to rotate the view. You do not control the VR rollercoaster but can view 360 degrees during your ride.
- In 2019, a breathtaking new 3D VR roller coaster ride interacts with live music. The all-new Alien Music Ride provides you both relaxing and stunning high-speed ride that interacts and visualizes music.
- The VR app is optimized for Android mobile phones and the use of Google Cardboard.
New York Times VR
If you’re a person of news, and tired of watching the news in old 2D, there’s no need to worry about it because the New York Times VR app gives you reality-based simulations of 3D news.
From politics to climate, from fashion to technology, you’ll find videos of everything. This app update on a daily basis providing videos ranging from 30 seconds to several minutes.
If you’re worried, that your mobile data gonna be lost, this app providing you the option of download videos before you watch thus making it one of the best Android VR apps.
The following are some of the features of the New York Times VR.
- The New York Times app puts you at the center of the stories that you want to watch, through VR devices.
- You can also experience good virtual reality films by New York Times journalists in an immersive 360-degree video experience.
- From war in the Middle East to hiking in China, from space stations to solar systems, this app brings you to places you can’t normally go.
- New York Times app also provides you with the additional feature of spatial audio.
- Designed for Google Cardboard headsets, you’ve also got the option to play 360 videos without a headset.
Google Earth VR
If thinking about tours, landscapes, waterfalls as an entertainment medium, our first priority is Google Earth. Turns out, this app is super cool for providing such a beautiful platform. Google Earth in VR is a beautiful reminder of how small we are.
For a moment imagine yourself flying in a shuttle moving across the globe, is both exotic and enjoyable, if you’re a geographic guy. Even with a one-click to quick navigation, you can visit historical landmarks like The Grand Canyon or The Eiffel Tower.
It’s not only just fun, provided by this app, but also education and learning. For a moment consider yourself a history teacher, teaching about ancient greeks, or historical background of Romans, this app can allow you to visit the places you can only think of, help in educating kids about different cultures and traditions.
The following are some of the features of the Google Earth app.
- With Google Earth, you can zoom across long distances in a matter of seconds, and ascend and descend upon mountains like Everest.
- Google Earth apps provide you the best platform to learn about History and Geography.
- It lets you explore street view imagery from almost 90 countries right within Earth VR.
- It provides a quick nav option for you to go wherever whenever you want.
- With the Google Earth app, you can also incorporate the technology into a variety of projects including urban planning, and revitalization scenarios.
If you’re a person that is in need of a VR platform, that can provide you with everything, Fulldive is the best option for that. From web browsing to hundreds of other apps, photos, and video storage, Fulldive offers you everything.
Fulldive VR comprises of its own VR store for apps and photos storage and allows you to install hundreds of other VR compatible apps via the Fulldive VR portal.
You can also watch YouTube videos in 360 3D or VR through the app, and allows you to take 360-degree photos and videos courtesy of apps VR camera.
The following are some of the features of the Fulldive VR.
- Fulldive VR is a Social All-in-One VR Platform. It is compatible with both Cardboard and Daydream headsets.
- The app works with any Android-capable headset, including Oculus, Daydream, and Cardboard.
- It is also a social platform that allows you to follow what your friends watch, react, and comment on, and share your favorite reacted videos.
- Fulldive allows you to browse and view a new generation of media, such as watching 3D and 360 photos and videos and also browse the Internet like never before.
- You can search over one million videos and play over 500 games via Fulldive VR. This content is already touching the sky.
InCell VR is an educational gaming platform for kids who wants to learn and gain knowledge about the human body. Whats makes InCell VR the best is its creativity and modernity of learning.
In this game, the player catches the role of a human from the future, and the mission is to fit himself inside a human body. While fighting off a deadly disease, your role is to move inside the body and learn human biology.
By switching to non-VR mode, you can also use it. You just have to tap & hold the screen.
The following are some of the features of the InCell VR.
- InCell VR provides you a platform with a mix of science and micro world of the carefully recreated human cell.
- The game is focused on VR of the human body, you can even play it without the headset.
- InCell VR app is compatible with View-Master, Fibrum, and others Cardboard like headsets.
- The InCell VR provides students a 3-D picture of the cell and what is happening inside.
- InCell VR app shows students a VR perspective of the inner workings of cells and their interactions, allowing them to visualize cell biology in a way they never could before.
Google is making its mark by heading on top with mobile VR platforms such as Cardboard and Daydream. You can start with these two if you’re looking for the best VR apps for Android. These apps will give you the best mobile experience like you never had before.
The VR box apps mentioned in the article are ranked among the best VR apps for Android and suited for small to medium budgets and are easy to download and use.
Although this VR technology is still in the initial stages of developing into a complete organization, if you ask for the best VR apps, you might be shocked because VR is spreading its roots into the mainstream media, games, movies, education, and architecture. The future is near and you’ve no idea what comes next.